Saturday, November 8, 2008

A Very Good Reason to Learn Spanish



















This empty bottle of Pechuga Mescal stands as evidence of my cultural immersion into the world of agave. We picked up this particular brand at our Pochote Market, a local organic market on Friday and Saturday mornings. After sampling a few different flavors we purchased the above bottle and enjoyed it sitting on the terrace over a few consecutive evenings. I did a bit of investigation about pechuga and what we thought was the distilling process. My teacher enlightened me with the translation:  pechuga means ¨breast.¨

Apparently, this rare and ancient type of mezcal results from the following ingredients:  wild mountain apples and plums, red plantain bananas pineapples, almonds, uncooked rice....and an entire raw chicken breast, bones and all.  The chicken balances out the fruit, they say.  While I'm not sure I would have chosen this bottle had I understood the distilling process, I guess it isn't any worse than a worm in my bottle.




No comments: